What is Technical SEO? A Beginner’s Guide
If you’re new to SEO, then you may be wondering what technical SEO is, and how it can help your business? Technical SEO refers to the process of optimising your website for search engines, with the aim of improving your site’s ranking in search results.
There are many factors that contribute to your website’s visibility and ranking in search results, and technical SEO focuses on optimising your website’s code and onsite seo, to make it as easy as possible for search engines to find and index (Ensure search engine spiders can discover your content) your site.
Technical SEO can be a complex and time-consuming process, but the effort is worth it, as it can help improve your website’s organic traffic and visibility in search results. If you’re ready to start optimizing your website for search engines, read on for ours beginner’s guide to technical SEO.
Basic Technical SEO Checklist:
1. Make sure your site is accessible to search engines (Ensure search engine spiders can discover your content)
2. Optimize your site’s title tags and meta descriptions
3. Use keyword-rich titles and descriptions- in a white hat way
4. Optimise your homepage
5. Optimise your site’s content marketing
6. Use keyword-rich anchor text- in a white hat way
7. Optimise your main pages
8. Add alt text to all images
9. Create an XML sitemap
10. Submit your sitemap to search engines
11. Use Google Search Console to monitor your website’s organic seo performance in search results
12. Fix any errors that Google Search Console finds
13. Monitor your website’s backlink profile, make sure there all quality links
14. disavow any spammy or low-quality backlinks
15. Increase your website’s loading speed
16. Use a mobile-friendly design
17. Use responsive design
18. avoid using Flash if you can
19. write quality content marketing
20. Use canonical tags to avoid duplicate content issues
21. Fix any broken links
22. Monitor your website for malware and viruses
23. Keep your WordPress site up to date, if you use wp
24. Use a security plugin like Wordfence or Sucuri to protect your WordPress site
25. Regularly back up your website
26. Use HTTPS to secure your website
Technical SEO can seem daunting, but following the basics on this checklist will help you get started on the right track. And if you need more help, then our well known seo agency in Bristol will be more than happy to help.
There are many different aspects of technical SEO, but some common elements include optimising your website, so it works on mobile phones for example, structure, and content marketing and much more; improving your site’s load time,; and ensuring that your site is accessible to both search engines and users.
While technical SEO can be a complex topic, there are some simple steps you can take to improve your website’s technical SEO. Here are a few more tips to get you started:
The robots.txt file is a text file that informs web robots (also known as web crawlers or spiders) about which pages on your website to crawl and which ones to ignore.
The robots.txt file contains a set of rules, also known as directives, that tell web robots what they can and cannot do on your website. These directives are usually written in the Robots Exclusion Standard, which is a standard format for robots.txt files.
Some of the more common directives you might see in a robots.txt file include:
Allow: This directive allows web crawlers to access the specified URL(s).
Disallow: This directive tells web crawlers not to access the specified URL(s).
Avoid Duplication SEO
Duplicate content marketing is a common issue on many websites. It can hurt your site’s organic SEO and cause problems with Google indexing. If you have duplicate content on your site, make sure to take action to fix it.
Technical SEO: Final Thoughts
Technical SEO can be a daunting and time-consuming task, but the rewards can be great, so if you need help do call our Bristol digital marketing agency for any assistance you need. By following the seo tips and tricks in this article, you can help to make your companies website more search engine friendly, and can help improve your organic seo.
Remember, Technical SEO is just one part of a successful SEO strategy; to really see results, you need to focus on all aspects of your seo marketing campaign, from keyword research through to link building. But if you keep these technical tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to improving your website’s performance in search engines.
Do you have any other Technical SEO tips? Share them with us in the comments below!
Technical SEO: Final Thoughts
Remember, Technical SEO is just one part of a successful SEO strategy; to really see results, you need to focus on all aspects of your marketing campaign, from keyword research to link building. But if you keep these technical tips in mind, you’ll be well on your way to improving your website’s performance in search engines.